Pay-per-click marketing is a powerful channel for businesses to reach new customers and increase sales. But with so many businesses competing for the attention of potential customers, it’s important to stand out from the competition. One way you can achieve this is by using ad extensions in your PPC campaigns.
Our PPC marketing account managers have put together the following guide to get you started with understanding ad extensions: what they are, how they can benefit you, and how to use them effectively in your own campaigns.
What Are Ad Extensions?
Ad extensions are additional bits of information that can be added to your PPC ads to give potential customers more context and help your ads stand out on the search results page. Ad extensions can include things like your business’s phone number, location, or links to specific pages on your website. The below details the ad extensions used by ASOS and JD Sports for the ‘women’s trainers’ search results.
There are numerous ad extensions that you can use in your PPC marketing campaigns.
Sitelink extensions allow you to include additional links to specific pages on your website within your ad. This can be helpful for businesses that want to highlight specific products or services or to direct potential customers to a particular landing page.
Call extensions add a clickable phone number to your ad, allowing potential customers to call your business directly from the ad. This can be particularly useful for businesses that rely heavily on phone calls to generate leads or sales.
Location extensions add your business’s physical address to your ad, along with a map of your location. This is particularly useful for businesses that have a physical storefront, as it can help potential customers find your business easily.
Review extensions allow you to showcase positive reviews or ratings from third-party sources, such as Yelp or Google Reviews. This can be a powerful tool for building trust and credibility with potential customers.
Callout extensions allow you to add additional text to your ad to highlight specific features or benefits of your products or services. This can help your ad stand out and give potential customers more context about what your business has to offer.
Why Use Ad Extensions?
Ad extensions can help your ads stand out in search results, making them more visible to potential customers. This can help drive more clicks and conversions, which can ultimately lead to increased sales and revenue for your business.
Improved Click-Through Rates
Ad extensions can also help improve your ad’s click-through rate. By providing more context and information to potential customers, ad extensions can help make your ad more relevant and compelling, which can lead to more clicks.
Many ad extensions allow you to target specific audiences based on their location, device, or other factors. This can help you reach the right customers at the right time, which can improve the effectiveness of your campaigns.
Increased Trust and Credibility
Ad extensions like review extensions can help build trust and credibility with potential customers by showcasing positive reviews and ratings from third-party sources. This can help make your business more appealing and trustworthy, which can ultimately lead to more sales.
How to Use Ad Extensions
Using ad extensions in your PPC marketing campaigns is relatively easy. Follow these steps to get started.
- Log into your PPC advertising account and select the campaign or ad group to which you want to add ad extensions to.
- Click on the “Ad Extensions” tab and select the type of ad extension that you want to add.
- Fill out the necessary information for your ad extension, such as your business’s phone number, location, or links to specific pages.
How to Use Ad Extensions Effectively
- Selecting the right extensions: Not all ad extensions will be relevant or effective for every business. Choose the ad extensions that make the most sense for your goals and audience. For example, if you have a physical location, a Location Extension would be a good choice. If you offer multiple products or services, Price Extensions or Structured Snippet Extensions could be useful.
- Use multiple extensions: You can use multiple ad extensions in a single ad, and doing so can make your ad more engaging and informative. Consider using a combination of Sitelink Extensions, Callout Extensions, and Structured Snippet Extensions to provide a range of information and value to your audience.
- Test and optimise: As with any aspect of PPC advertising, testing and optimisation are essential for ad extensions. Experiment with different types of extensions and combinations, and track your results. Use A/B testing to compare the performance of different ad extensions, and adjust your strategy accordingly.
- Keep it relevant: Make sure that the information provided by your ad extensions is relevant to the ad and the user’s search intent.
Digital marketing agency topclick has an excellent team with proven experience setting up, optimising, and maintaining PPC ads across Google and Bing. We understand that no client is the same, so our campaigns are tailored to each individual goal.
Our team has experience across multiple industries generating leads, calls, sales, traffic, and app installs. Drawing on our wealth of knowledge we can help you decide what type of campaign best suits your needs. Contact us today for more information.